Sunday, March 22, 2009

All My Friends Everywhere. A Delightful Day.


Mahé, Indian Ocean 4°35 S, 55°40 E - Well it is just past 4:30 in the afternoon, a Sunday, here on the main island of Mahe. I awoke this morning after a light rain and took a walk in the garden of the establishment where I am staying. Rather small, but comfortable and the family taking care of the place, simply marvelous and attentive. What woke me was the sound of the rain gently tapping against my wooden shutters followed by the morning calls of the rooster somewhere far off in the distance. The walk in the garden was splendid. It seemed that the rain energised many of the small creatures about. The little red 'sren' and its mate, grey in colour. Many of them in fact. A humingbird taking its morning meal from a dew draped flower, and my favorite the turtle doves. All about in this tropical garden. Later a spot of tea and toast complimented with local jams, some cheese, fresh papaya and a mango! Quite simple but delicious. I had an interesting chat with my host. Arriving the other day late in the afternoon and rather tired from my trek on Cerf Island, I did not have much time to chat with her. I find this place so relaxing and fresh. I even look forward to the refreshing cold showers. The water coming from the nearby river which flows down into a small cascade. Later in the morning I sat and watched as the residents from the village walked by going off to church. A Roman Catholic church sits off the way and from my vantage point could see the tip of it. Its morning bells calling the faithful to its halls. A few greetings of 'good morning' & 'bonjour' as the children followed by their elders, mostly women and younger children smartly dressed and making their way smiling and a little wave allo. The sun could be felt strong against my back so I decided to pack a small meal with the help of my host, some water bought from the local shop down the road, and off I went. Smashing day really. No mobile phone, but I must admit to bringing my Ipod to listen to my favourite songs as I walked along the road, out and about to explore. I did not go far. I did not have to. I found this delightful little secluded beach, coconut trees and several other larger trees for shade, and calm water to seduce me to the place calling me to stay. I did for the remainder of the day simply drifting with the afternoon clouds high above. I love this place!

No comments:

Post a Comment