Saturday, April 11, 2009

Flying In To The Seychelles.


Excitement builds up anytime the flight you are on approaches its final destination. For one thing there is a 'sigh' of relief that the flight is about to be over and on the other - that you are about to arrive and begin your holiday or meet up again with loved ones! What a thrilling feeling indeed!

For me I have had this feeling over and over again no matter where I would be landing in many locations around the globe. The biggest emotional lift however was whenever we would make our final approach into Mahe, the 'big' island within the Seychelles group.

My mind would start to race with anticipation and I would start to think about all the things that I would be doing on my very first day back for you see time is precious and being in Seychelles even more precious so why waste any?

Word of advice for new visitors to the islands. Do please wear appropriate clothing. No heavy jackets or the like. I always travel light to speed my way through the friendly arrival formalities and of course I bring a change of clothes and change just prior to landing. T shirt, shorts, and slippers! Very comfortable and primed to handle the tropic air as the door is opened.

Another word of advice. Once the plan has landed there is no need to rush to stand up to de-plane. Relax and prepare yourself by all means but as the Seychelles is a unique place to be, the health authorities will be making a quick inspection and ensuring that the flight crew has sprayed the plane before any doors are opened. Why? Well to kill off any bugs that may have hitched a ride. This will take a few minutes after you have landed. It always amuses me to see pasengers in a hurry standing and then finding out that they will have to wait for a bit longer.

So back to me and what I will be doing once on the ground. Well once clearing immigration my first stop is the Duty Free and a purchase of a bottle of Jim Beam! Cannot arrive empty handed that would not be polite. Then on to baggage claim and out the door to waiting family and friends. All the while my senses are alive and my eyes searching for familiar faces to say hello to! WoW! Sounds simple enough but what a thrill it is. The ride home with the window open even better!

Within the hour after getting home I am taking a cold shower and kicking back sipping tea and catching up on all the local gossip! And after? Hmmmmm.... a dip at Beau Vallon of course!

As night falls I sit back under the night sky looking up at the stars. Thank you God for what we have.

I hope you enjoy your stay on the islands and that you return many times over!

Happy Easter to all.


(Photo Credit: Rita Hinder)
Remember if you book through www.uniqueoffersseychelles.com that a percentage of sales goes back to community projects! How 'kool' is that? Very!

1 comment:

  1. OK, Ray...I'm looking forward to that bottle of Jim Beam. Thanks in advance !

    ReplyDelete