Friday, July 16, 2010

Memories Of The Seychelles!



The back area of my grandparents home has little changed. This simple little stand with water pipe has stood there for the past 30 + years. Originally built by my grandfather Antonio he layed a waterline to the river and brought it to this point where Maxime stands today.


Its amazing to see for me.

As a child I would use it to wash my feet before going into the main house. I would prefer however to wash my feet in the river as my grandfather did every early morning and night. Fresh clean water cascading down the rocks into a basin he built. On hot days or after heavy rains we would all gather with my cousins and go swimming or slide down the rocks now pouring with heavy water flooded by the rains. Sliding into the river.

He would clean fish here as well or late at night and even in the rain be outside brushing his teeth. I would join him. Once we bathed outside - the water so cold but fresh from the river.

I miss those times. Times of respect and understanding. Where simple greetings were greatly appreciated. Where stories were told by friends dropping in as the skies drew dark. Sharing a story and a little drink. Of the outside kitchen where my grandfather would cook up a quick little meal before bringing it in to th house to be devoured.

I loved catsup on my food, and still do. Opening the little fridge on its wooden stand and moving aside the ants forming a line to try and get inside. Some bread, butter, tomato sauce or catsup, some cold water or a soft drink from Waterloo or SeyPearl bought up the street from the local shop.

This was Baie Lazare for me and before that Mare Anglaise. A time with my grandparents and extended family. My youth has long since past. My memories though remain. As does the memories of those who have past and long since been buried. They still are there for me. I miss them all.

Thank you for sharing some time with me! See you back shortly.

1 comment: