Saturday, May 9, 2009

Getting Lost. Part 2



After only a few days back on the 'big' island of Mahe, Seychelles, I make it back, perhaps like a hawk bill turtle heading home to 'its' beach where many years earlier she was hatched, to the island of La Digue.
An online search for La Digue will reveal the following,"La Digue is the fourth largest inhabited island of the Seychelles, lying east of Praslin and west of Felicite Island. It has a population of about 2,000 people, who mostly live in the west coast villages of La Passe (linked by ferry to Praslin and Mahé) and La Réunion. It has an area of 10 km². La Digue is named after a ship in the fleet of French explorer Marc-Joseph Marion du Fresne, who visited the Seychelles in 1768.

Today the island's main industry is tourism and is known for its beaches especially Anse Source d'Argent.In the island's interior is Veuve Nature Reserve, home of the rare Black Paradise Flycatcher, of which there are only about 100 in existence. La Digue's tallest peak is also in the central part of the island, Belle Vue (Eagle's Nest Mountain), with its summit more than 300 meters above sea level."

When I was younger and La Digue seemed much 'bigger' I recall sitting on the steps of Chateau St. Cloud, our family home and looking up towards 'Belle Vue'. At that time the 'chateau' was run by my Great Grand Mother, Madame Kersley, the matriarch of the family and well respected if not a little feared by myself. In the dark hours so many things would wander through my mind as my great grand mother would approach holding a candle in hand calling at all the children to come inside.

As I sit on the ferry heading back to La Digue yet again, I am accompanied by a pod of dolphins, swimming along our boat. For a moment I am distracted as I look at them and marvel.

How it must have been the same so many years ago when my father with his father and mother made the journey by boat from the 'big' island to La Digue. A 4 hour trip if the winds were right.

As I approach by sea I can see Belle Vue, its lush greenery reaching out, and below its shadow the settlements. I am eager to come ashore now and experience once again what is La Digue.

This entry is dedicated to the memory of our beloved grand father. Karl St. Ange who passed on from us, 7th of May 2009. He was always part of La Digue and forever will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment